Many traffic accidents sadly occur in Las Vegas every day. Some Las Vegas traffic accidents are relatively minor, while others cause risk of injury, and even end up in court as people take legal action. According to the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDoT), traffic fatalities are up 4% year-over-year in 2020, in spite of less cars being on the road.
How to Act in a Car Accident
In case you got into a minor car accident in Las Vegas, here are a few simple steps to follow take after it:
Do not drive away from the scene.
- Just keep cool. Going off the deep end and getting angry at the other driver is easy, but this is only going to exacerbate the situation.
- Call the police immediately.
- Take picture.
- Report the accident.
- Move the vehicle to a safer side of the road and turn on hazard lights.
- Try to find witnesses.
- Contact a car accident lawyer nearby.
Commonly, small bumps at low speed just require bumper repair. Some people choose not to even involve the police. However, high-speed car accidents can be fatal or cause serious injury. Loss of earnings and medical bills are commonly claimed in court with the help of a car accident lawyer.
How to Act in Bicycle Accident
Regardless of if it’s just a minor bicycle accident or an accident, involving other people, there are a few simple tips to follow:
- Stay calm and quickly evaluate the damage.
- Give or ask for first aid.
- Remove yourself and your bike from the spot.
- Make sure to contact a bicycle accident attorney nearby and the police for legal and compensation matters.
It is vital to wear a helmet and other protective clothing, as the vehicle doesn’t provide much protection.
Accident reports show that bicycle accidents are relatively common.
How to Act in a Motorcycle Accident
Motorcycles are notoriously high-risk when it comes to getting in accidents. Here are a few basic steps to follow in case you ended up in a motorcycle accident in Las Vegas.
- Do not panic and make sure you are safe.
- Take photos of damages.
- Move the bike off of the road.
- Do not leave the scene.
- Call the Police
- Contacting a motorcycle accident lawyer nearby is the best option if the accident was not your fault and you should be compensated.
A traffic accident in Las Vegas involving a motorcycle can be very serious due to the fact that motorcycles often travel at high speed. Some accidents only involve one vehicle, and coming off at high speed can cause broken bones. However, collisions can be fatal.
How to Act in a Truck Accident
In a truck, the driver has quite a lot of protection due to the size and build of the vehicle. In a truck accident don’t forget to:
- Call the Emergency number.
- Seek medical help if needed.
- Document the witnesses, if you are uninjured and it’s safe.
Contact a truck accident lawyer in Las Vegas. Trucks are extremely dangerous if the correct care isn’t taken and can cause immense damage to other vehicles. Rucks are also costly, so the material losses of this sort of accident can be huge.
Steps After an Accident – How to Act Legally
If you are unfortunately involved in an accident, there are a few steps that you should take in order to ensure that you keep yourself safe and get the help that is required. Car accidents in Las Vegas are relatively common and most can be dealt with. Straight after the accident, the priority is not to get angry with one another and establish blame. The priority needs to be checking for injuries and whether urgent medical attention is needed, and then calling the police and potentially an ambulance. When the police do arrive, they will take the ID and insurance information from all involved parties. If not, you should exchange ID and insurance info with the other people involved, in case an insurance claim is required. Don’t admit any fault or liability until you have consulted a lawyer. It’s important to gather all the facts although you might feel like apologizing for the accident. The police report, photographs, witnesses, and dash cam footage can all be vital at this time.
Common Causes and Establishing Guilt
What are some of the common causes of traffic accidents in Las Vegas? Sadly, many people haven’t learned the lessons of previous accidents and may take unnecessary risks. It’s important to establish if any of the common causes of accidents have taken place. The other driver may be at fault, and liable for legal action, if they are guilty of any of the following:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Sadly this is still linked to around 20% of traffic accidents.
- Driving a vehicle that is not safe or roadworthy. If it can be proved that the car was not suitable for driving this may be seen as one of the causes of the accident.
- Driving without paying the necessary care. Being distracted on a phone or doing something while you should be focused on the road can make you culpable.
- Falling asleep at the wheel. This may be an accident, but it is your responsibility to make sure you are awake and alert at the wheel.
- Not having insurance. Driving without insurance is a felony and this means you could face charges as a result of doing it. Causing an accident will almost always see you get caught without insurance.
- Not having a driving license. Similarly, you should have a current driving license.
- Running a red light. If it can be proved that someone has not obeyed traffic laws then it is likely that it will be seen as their fault in a court of law.
Anyone that gets caught having made any of these very basic errors in judgment could be in big trouble, with reparations having to be paid and even possible imprisonment. On the other hand, if you have a dash cam with footage proving your innocence, this evidence can end up being used to absolve you of any criminal processes.
If you are involved in a Las Vegas traffic accident it is important to gather all of the evidence you possibly can. This can take the form of footage, witness statements, and police reports. Whether the accident was your fault or not, it is also vital to get the advice of a personal injury lawyer nearby. If you are accused, a lawyer can help you to prove your innocence. If the accident was not your fault, it is possible that a lawyer can help you to mount a case against another driver, allowing you to claim on their insurance or even take legal action to receive compensation as a result of the hardship resulting from the accident. A road traffic accident is difficult for everyone, but not having legal representation can make things even worse.